never forget where you came from...
Welcome Home — Aquila

Welcome Home

Started by Suyis Maitra-Lucain at Aug 16, 2019 9:56 pm
15 Posts

Lucius McKenna

39Years Young
7 Posts

Treat them as if they were your own sons, and they will follow you unto the ends of the earth.

Lucius smiled a bit. "Yeah, she should," he said. "Usually she doesn't get colds like that, I'm kind of worried. But she's not running a fever or anything, so that's a good sign I think. Do Others work like humans?" Maybe they didn't. "Maybe I should take her to an Other doctor... haven't wanted to do that because the only ones I know of are Republic." And, well, they actually didn't know he had an Other hanging around his farm, and maybe what they didn't know wouldn't kill them.

Unfortunately, there was no right thing to do, here. Because either option could be quite dangerous, and he didn't want to have to make that call. Anyway, there were weeds to pull.

"I worry a lot, sometimes." Yeah, he did. "When my parents still ran the farm, dad would employ the city kids to come pull up all the weeds for him in exchange for butterscotch discs. It got the kids doing something, out in the sun, and they'd pester their parents to come buy my cousins' butterscotch candies when there wasn't any weeds to pull. The city kids don't know us anymore, though." Yeah, sadly.

"Suppose I could get a buncha kids out of the Grid to come help. There are bunches in the orphanages." And bunches that weren't in orphanages, and he wouldn't mind sharing some of the excess with them. It was probably a lot safer of a way for them to get food than the rest of the Grid had as options. Lucius tried not to think about it.

Viktor

44Years Young
7 Posts

It was odd, listening to a Tyrrhenian talk about an Other like they cared. There was no reason for Lucius to be trying to make a point by pretending though, so Viktor didn't know what to think of the situation. Except... that maybe this guy really was strange enough to care. It was sort of possible, he supposed, for a Tyrrhenian to have spent enough time with a specific other to form a bond, even if the vast majority didn't care at all. That was the most logical assumption at least.

"Not exactly, no. But no fever probably is a good sign." And taking her to an Other doctor could be... well. The Republic tried sometimes and actively sabotaged other times. Wasn't it fun to figure out which a particular situation might be? Viktor didn't say that, of course. "As long as it doesn't last, it'll probably be fine." If it did then... well. Viktor wouldn't pretend to be knowledgable about this specific Other, of course.

"Not a bad idea if you could arrange it." Not that Viktor knew why Lucius wound want to help a bunch of kids in the grid, but the help could be nice, and most grid children would do damn near anything if you promised them food. Viktor should know, he'd seen it in action.

He didn't say that, of course. Often it was better not to think about back then. Mostly it just hurt and the pain didn't serve anyone because it wasn't as if he could get back what he had lost.

Anyway, there were weeds he was supposed to be pulling. Viktor's attention turned slightly towards the plants, though he was still listening for anything Lucius might say.

Lucius McKenna

39Years Young
7 Posts

Treat them as if they were your own sons, and they will follow you unto the ends of the earth.

Ah. Lucius frowned slightly, but then nodded. "You're probably right," he said. "It's only been a day. I should just calm down, and wait to see what happens. If it gets any worse, or doesn't get any better, then we'll worry about what to do. Right." He had some friends in the Republic's medical labs. Maybe they would be familiar enough with Other biology to have an idea of what to do for her if she didn't recover on her own. He was worrying about nothing, probably. They'd just have to make sure the floofball got some rest, and proper fluid intake, and that was that.

It wasn't like he had friends or anything to worry about besides her. Zarinidia was his friends.

"I think I can," he said. "And sometimes I've got excess. Enough to share, at least, and it's a better idea than the arena, at any rate." That was for sure. "Well, you might'a noticed, but I'm kind of friendly with Suyis," Lucius mentioned. "He can probably find me the help easily enough. There's a bonus to having connections I guess." Something like that. Actually, having connections specifically such as Suyis Lucain was very dangerous. Most likely this particular Losrian had no idea how dangerous, but Lucius knew. Unless he did, in which case, well he probably had an idea of what was coming next.

It was okay. Lucius was doing pretty well staying on just this side of illegal. He hadn't gotten shot at thus far, that was a marked bonus, right?

Viktor

44Years Young
7 Posts

"That sounds like a solid plan." Viktor agreed mildly. And it really was the best option, giving it time was always a good start, and safer than revealing her to the Republic if Lucius had managed to avoid doing so by now somehow. Most Others could typically take reasonably good care of themselves, and they did seem to have some kind of an immune system that could handle the majority of things they came across. ... Then again, his Other had essentially been a sentient balloon, so perhaps it was best that he not make too many assumptions about this Other. Which, of course, was why the waiting and the seeing.

"It's hard to be worse than the Arena." The Arena was a terrible thing, and it shouldn't have been the last resort that it was for so many people. But no one in the Republic really cared about Pyxis, except maybe Suyis. And many times, the Arena was the only thing that kept so many people of Pyxis alive. Even... if it also killed many of them, in the end. It was, in many ways, an easier death than starvation.

That was sad to think about, he wasn't going to say that. "I suppose Suyis' connections would make it easier to find help. And the help would make it easier to manage everything." Viktor hadn't looked very far into that. It wasn't his concern exactly. Beta Primes were well above the sort of people that Viktor worried about in his typical day to day interactions. Mostly he was just worried about not ending up with a handler that he absolutely couldn't abide by.

Lucius didn't seem like he was going to be on that list. Viktor continued to look for weeds among the plants as well as damage to the main crop. If Lucius really did have enough to share, maybe he could keep some of those kids out of the arena just a little longer than they might have been able to otherwise. Few kids to end up like Ian.

Lucius McKenna

39Years Young
7 Posts

Good. Okay. Lucius was going to go with it then, if someone else also thought it was a good idea. That was a pretty solid indicator that he wasn't too far off of a good idea, at least. And that was nice to know, considering Lucius wasn't what most people would call very bright. Sure, he was smart enough; he knew his way around farms and manual labour. He knew how life worked, even if he didn't understand the semantics behind it all. It was for the best probably, because Lucius wasn't really cut out for all that science crap. That was for someone else to bother with. Like Jesse Lin and Kai Iman.

"Sure do," Lucius agreed, finding a broken stalk and standing long enough to rip it out of the ground. It'd started dying, notable by the rot up the stalk. "I usually just grab a bunch of assignments and their handlers from Eridanus around festivals, but the rest of the year I'm mostly on my own. Just me and Zari out here, trying not to go nuts." But, well, he didn't mind it very much, and Zarinidia never seemed to mind it much either.

"So," Lucius started, "I'm the one Suyis assigns people to when their powers are on the fritz. What do I gotta try not to get hit with?" Because he was quite sure there was something wrong with this one, and with the Losrians, it was usually a bad reaction to Euphoria. It was almost like... they didn't need it...