Uneventful Events

Started by Seth Antares at Aug 12, 2019 9:28 pm
15 Posts

Seth Antares

criminally candid
47Years Young
6 Posts

A sinner to most but a sage to some.

Or not? Why was that an or not? Eh, not that Seth could really say. He and Daren might've been friends for a while now, but it wasn't like Seth could read his mind or something like that. It was probably for the best that wasn't in Seth's particular arsenal of abilities. It stood to reason that he shouldn't be able to do that, and hell, being honest about it, Seth had a hard enough time keeping track of his own thoughts, he didn't really need anyone else's along with it.

For a moment, Seth just glanced between Atenra and Daren, and then shrugged a bit. "I guess it has," he said. "But Daren's probably right, and it probably is kind of important. Besides, that's waited a long time, too, but if we go by seniority, yours wins. I should've told you a long time ago, it just. Slipped my mind." Never mind the chances of Atenra ever meeting Honour were slim as all get out, and maybe it didn't matter much. If the kid was happy enough thinking Livia was his biological mother, it probably worked out better. There was no sense in throwing off his concept of self over what amounted to nothing.

It wasn't like Honour didn't want him, though, and Seth knew that, probably way better than Honour herself did, and certainly better than Atenra did. And maybe that was something Atenra needed to hear, from someone he did know well enough to trust not to lie to him.

Atenra

24Years Young
5 Posts

Seth's decision on which one of the two of them to talk to seemed clear enough - and it made sense, of course.  Daren didn't know the details, but he didn't need to know them to know that the kid was probably the more important of the two. Family always was, and, well, they'd waited this long to tell each other, another few hours to step back and figure out what to tell each other was probably not a bad idea.

For example, Daren himself had never gotten this far in his head, and he had no idea what to say at the moment. He should probably take a few moments to figure that out, to hopefully avoid sticking his foot in it even worse than he already had at some point. Why were feelings so complicated, anyway?

"If you say so." Atenra shrugged slightly, but he didn't argue. He wasn't sure he wanted to know, but he also got the feeling that it was kind of important. So there was... that. "As long as you two actually talk about this later, I'm serious." Could he enforce that? No. But maybe with Ember's help, he could make it happen anyway.

And in the meantime, apparently, his dad had something to tell him. ... Atenra would wonder what was so important that could have slipped his mind for this long, but to be fair about it, there were always a lot of things going on, and maybe it wasn't surprising at all that dad lost them, sometimes. Storytime though... and it seemed to maybe involve his handler?

Which was... strange to think about but maybe he'd just wait until he knew what was going on to try to parse out more than that.

Seth Antares

criminally candid
47Years Young
6 Posts

Seth looked a little put-upon, and sighed lightly. "If either of us ever figures out what to say," he mumbled under his breath. Because yes, figuring out what to say sounded a little important. It was hard to have a conversation about something when you had no idea what to say. It wasn't like Seth hadn't accepted this a long time ago anyway. He liked Daren, Daren probably didn't like him back, oh well? He was too old for this, anyway. It would've been best to leave it alone, but apparently certain other individuals were not quite content to leave it alone.

Especially now that Honour was around, and Seth and Honour certainly had a few issues. They'd have to work through them, no doubt, and he wasn't sure how well that was going to go. Especially considering that Honour had already decided she disliked Daren as it was, and maybe adding fuel to that fire wasn't a good idea. Ah, but who knew. She'd been young then, as had he. Maybe they'd both grown up a little.

Suyis had gone, and Seth just nodded for Atenra to follow him; maybe they'd have that talk over by the Shal-Hazar; it wasn't going anywhere anyway. Pollux followed, and settled down to one side. "Well, I should probably preface this with, it doesn't really change anything, just your perception of things." Because things had always been like this. Atenra just hadn't known that before.

"A long time ago, as you know, I was part of the Republic," he said. "I was young and stupid and kind of liked beer, so it wasn't rare for me to head out to Pyxis because the party was always in Pyxis. Without the Republic interference, the people out here get into some seriously terrible shit to be honest, I should be ashamed of myself, but you live and learn, so they say. I met a girl then, she was actually younger than you are now, in the HoloArena. We spent some time together, you know how these things go, one thing led to another... I had my fallout with the Republic and left the Dome and frankly wouldn't have ever thought of her again if she didn't come out to the Outlands, hunt my airship down, and hand me a bundle of couple-day-old Atenra." Ah, so things went he supposed.

"I had no intention of being a father back then, but Honour wasn't in a position to raise you either, and I don't know why she didn't stay, she just didn't. Maybe she was angry with me. Maybe she was angry with herself, I don't know. Maybe she doesn't even know. I never saw her again and I didn't figure you ever would, either. Arena gladiators tend to die, not... end up handlers. That one was probably Suyis' doing if I had to guess. Maybe he adopted her, he likes to do that. I guess that'd make him your granddad." That was awkward, when your granddad looked younger than your father...

"There wasn't any point in flipping your world upside down. You thought Livia was your mom, and really, she was, and being as you'd never really know Honour, there was no point in telling you otherwise, at least not until you were old enough to really understand, and by then I'd long forgotten I meant to tell you. And here we are, I guess. Now she's your handler." Apparently.

Atenra

24Years Young
5 Posts

Daren went ahead and left the Hanger then, telling himself he'd think about it and decide what to say to Seth on his way down to meet his new charges. And maybe for a little while after before seeking Seth out. But the conversation needed to be had. Maybe it had waited too long... but, Daren still didn't know... he hadn't really anticipated Seth potentially feeling the same way about him. He'd clearly been blind but that was... perhaps not surprising. It wasn't hard to convince oneself of a lie and hold onto it instead of seeing the truth when it was right in front of him. Clearly.

Anyway, he was going now.

Atenra followed Seth obediently, he was certainly confused, and but there wasn't any real point in probing since his dad had already decided to answer his questions. The story started in a different place than Atenra was expecting, and for the moment he remained quiet, letting Seth get completely through what he said to say, and then spending several moments considering the information that he'd been given.

It was absolutely the last thing Atenra had expected. Nothing changed, just his perception hm? But it felt like everything would have to shift around something like that. Livia wasn't really his mother, this Honour woman was, and clearly she knew, that must have been why she was so upset at Suyis for making her his handler. ... Livia wasn't really his mother. But she was, wasn't she? She was still the one who had raised him, and clearly she had always known the truth, even if she didn't know the whole story.

Atenra was the only one really in the dark here. Some part of him wanted to be annoyed at his dad for not telling him any of this. He was twenty-four, and it seemed like this was way past the time that he could have been trusted with the truth, but the reality was that life in the Outlands had always been hectic and it was hard to be annoyed that Seth just wanted their family to exist and not have any unnecessary stress or trouble.

One hand raised absently to splay against his temple as reality set in slowly. "My handler is biologically my mother. No wonder she threw such a fit at Suyis." He could call it what it was. She was nice, if distant. Probably she'd never expected to see him again since she'd given him over to Seth in the outlands. It was probably a lot for her to take in. That was a strange place to latch onto but what else was he supposed to say?

"I do understand why you didn't tell me. Though I wish.. you had eventually, maybe before all this happened. Not that it would have helped, to be fair. Knowing wouldn't make it any easier to figure out what to do with her." Probably not no. Especially not when the general feeling was always going to be that he'd never see her anyway because she was here and he was out there. And then, well, shit happened.

Seth Antares

criminally candid
47Years Young
6 Posts

That went a little bit better than Seth had been expecting. It wasn't like this was an easy thing to deal with by any means, and it probably did feel like it flipped his entire world upside down. It didn't, though. Because really, in the end, he grew up the way he grew up, and someone else biologically being his mother didn't change who his mom actually was. It wasn't like Livia was going to suddenly disown him now that he knew the truth, and that truth didn't erase the 24 years of his life he spent with them. Ultimately, it was part of why Livia and Seth didn't end up working out; he'd needed a mother figure for Atenra and he may have leapt without looking with Livia, but they didn't end up hating each other, at least. It worked out in the end, and he and Livia were at least still friends. Whether she tolerated him for Atenra's sake, that was to be seen.

"Ah, I bet she did," Seth said, sounding a little amused. On the other hand, that sounded like an unpleasant mess, because if he remembered rightly, Suyis had something of a temper. Of course, he did have to keep up certain appearances to maintain the proper amount of fear that a Beta Prime should command, but that didn't make it any less uncomfortable to experience first-hand. "Though I imagine that one didn't go very well," he added. "I do too, but sometimes things go differently than you'd planned. Hey, if it's any consolation I don't think Honour has any idea what to do with you either, and it's understandable to be floundering a little in this situation. It's been a long time since we've seen each other, for sure, so she's probably not the same person I knew back then. I'm not the same, either. Just... try not to be too harsh on her. We all do things we're not proud of in this Tyrrhenia."

Shit, Suyis probably had even done a thing or two he wasn't proud of. Most of them had, but when your options were limited, you just did the best you could with what was available, and sometimes that was ostensibly not good enough. Seth generally tried not to think about it too much. "And, don't ever think she didn't want you," he said. "She absolutely did. She just also didn't want to raise you in the arena." And Seth couldn't blame her for that, really. Because the arena wasn't the best place for adults, let alone children.